Wednesday 22 August 2007

My First Post





Not unlike a toddler taking its first unsure steps, this is my first post on my brand new shiny Blog.

Why start a blog in the first place? After all, isn't the blogosphere already chock full of people's opinions? Well, yes it is. So why would you be interested, Oh respected reader, in the crazy inner workings of my grey matter over those of someone else's...? Hopefully if you pop in periodically you'll find the answer to these questions, and many more to boot...!

A little background info, if you want it...

I'm a post-doctoral research scientist, in an academic lab. But there a loads of other places to find out about science (I'd recommend X, Y and Z for starters, with a prize for spotting the odd-one-out), so this blog isn't about just science.

I'm a centre-left leaning progressive political animal. The same applies, so this blog isn't just about politics.

There's a lot to be said about blogging one's own opinion on all and sundry, but even more to be said about selecting some choice cuts from t'internet and elsewhere, and trying to form a coherent opinion based on what's "out there."

I hope that posts on this blog will fall under the following broad categories:

Consider: here I plan to link to thought-provoking articles that I've read, and also to post some of my (amateur) photography that tries to tell a story.

Evaluate: a chance to opine on the various political, scientific, cultural and sporting issues arising in recent days - will try to keep this as up-to-date as poss, time permitting!

Act: a space for you and me alike to encourage each other to take action on various issues, however small that action may seem, so as to further the cause of participatory democracy and the progressive agenda as a whole.

I don't claim to be a great thinker, or a politician, or a great writer. I just often feel the need to share my two-pence worth with whosoever will listen...!

So watch this space, e-mail me any suggestions for contributions to the above categories... and stay smiling...!

1 comment:

Ice Cream Recipes said...

Interresting thoughts